Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Motivated to go Digital

The past few weeks in my Fundamentals of Technology for Educators class, we have been working to create a Digital Storytelling lesson for our students. Let me tell you, it has been very interesting, engaging and rigorous! What in the end could be perceived as a basic presentation, is so much more.
I have designed a lesson where my students would research an influential leader of their choice. They will have to research the person and what characteristics made him/her a leader and of course the significant times in which that person was a leader. We were instructed to create a sample project for the students. I selected President Abraham Lincoln as my leader and found myself deep in research. I thought I was pretty well versed on his accomplishments but I was fascinated but all that he had done in such a short amount of time. I was motivated to find more. I was searching YouTube for the most authentic reading of the Emancipation Proclamation (which I know now was only a short 242 words). I walked away with a much deeper understanding of President Lincoln and what made his legacy so memorable. I can definitely see where the students selecting a leader of their choice, they will be just as excited by the research and synthesis of sources as I was. They will discover things that are not so common and well known and be eager to share their presentation with the class. This will be a project that they will not soon forget!
What I find most interesting is ho the project covers the gathering of information, the processing and then applying. The students have to use critical thinking skills to accomplish everything for the project. It will definitely be time consuming but well worth it. It provides the students the opportunity to develop the college and career readiness skills that they will need. Overall, great activity!

If you would like additional resources or want to check out my project, go to my wiki page at
http://mscolleencarney.wikispaces.com


No comments:

Post a Comment