Friday, October 24, 2014

Digital storytelling

As a part of my curriculum, we do a unit based on leadership with my AVID 11th and 12th grade students. We discuss what it means to be a leader, the characteristic of great leaders and examine examples of leaders. The students select a leader to study and I have them complete a research paper based on their chosen leader. I would like to have the students this school year use digital storytelling to show us the life of the leader. 
I would allow the students to choose what media elements to include. There must be audio narration and some sort of visual whether they use picture images or video will be up to them. 
The students would need to search the various websites and/or apps that they could create their project through. They would need resources for copyright free images if they chose not to create them themselves. 
I would suggests the sites Pixie 3, Capsizes, SlideStory and Frames to make their video. I would also tell them about Pics4Learning as a resource of copyright free images for their video. Jamendo is a source of music students can use.
I would need to find high school examples of digital storytelling. So many of the online resources available are elementary or lack certain elements. I do not want my students creating podcasts that I have seen a lone. I think it is important that they have both audio and video elements, I am fortunate to have an Apple Mac studio and my students would be more than welcome to use either iMovie or Final Cut Pro to create Leader Biography digital stories.
I am looking to seeing what my students are capable of producing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment