Friday, November 14, 2014

Technology limits Critical Thinking

My AVID sophomores are learning about argumentative essays. We have looked at the structure, compared it to persuasive essays and  read a student sample. They have a strong grasp on what an author's claim is, how to support it with evidence and reasoning. This week I asked my students to select ANY topic in which they felt strongly one way over the other. More than half the class couldn't come up with a topic. They waited for me to GIVE them a topic. I refuse to give them a topic. I believe that the person that lifts the weights, is the one that gets strong applies to learning. If I DO it for them, then I only get smarter. I gave them the evening to determine their topic and asked the students to email me; none did.
Today, the students were to complete the pros and cons with supporting evidenced based on their claim. I still had multiple students who had yet to determine their claim. So, they took out their devices and relied on the Internet to make their opinion for them. The other students were using their devices to find supporting evidence (good use of BYOD) but those without a topic still questioned me and others to see if it was good. I would throw it back at them and ask what do they think. How do they feel about it? What do you already know? What kind of evidence would you use? And, their responses ranged from blank stare to "I dunnos".
I concluded today that students are crippled by the technology. They are so accustomed to finding everything they need on Google that they were stumped when asked their opinion. They are losing the ability to think for themselves.  

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I agree with your post, I do not believe that technology cripples students. I do agree that having the students choose their own topics is like pulling teeth, sometimes the more freedom you give them in their writing, the worst it is. I usually like to give my students 3 options to choose from and option for a free topic. This allows those who need some direction to have the guidance they crave, and it allows the braver students the option to exercise their creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% do not agree with you. In the real world, outside of the classroom, I am able to access anything I want with my phone that is attached to my hip. Also, is it a SLO in your course for the student to think independently? I can guarantee you it is not, so why judge the student because he or she is "to dependent on technology". This is not the 1990s. I can answer any question on the spot with technology so why not teach your students to use the technology to answer those questions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen,
    I can definitely see where you are coming from and have seen for myself that often students lack the ability to form their own thoughts. Do you think this is entirely technology's fault? If you walk into most classrooms, students are given strict directions, with specific detailed rubrics, and steps they must follow. I think to blame technology entirely you are missing a critical element in this downfall: adults! We want students to be independent but rarely offer them the ability to do just that.

    I agree with Bellmarie, if you want your students to learn this independence, consider scaffolding it. Giving them options first and letting them pick, then maybe the next assignment giving them options OR the ability to form their own topic. This could build to them creating their own writing topics by the end of the semester. Maybe if you let go of your guidelines slowly it will allow students to build up capacity with the skill of independence.

    Finally, I actually think Google can often have the opposite effect on students. Instead of crippling them it can empower them. They can find answers. They can solve problems. They can do it on their own without our help. I like to teach students to be authentic learners, and in the real world, when I don't know something, I look it up! In fact, Googling is a skill that many struggle with and I feel should be explicitly taught in schools.

    Thanks for the post, I see the same problems in my students but think if we work together, we can help raise a more self-sufficient generation!

    ReplyDelete