Thursday, September 11, 2014

Back to Basics

Learning Journal #2

Hello World Wide Web! This is my very first blog and it seems only fitting that it be for an educational technology class. I not only don't blog, I do not read blogs so please be forgiving of my format and style.
I find it ironic that I am in a Technology for Educators class when I am pursuing my Master's Degree. This is a class that every student should be required to take at the latest, middle school. Chapter 2 defines communication and the basics of the Internet and World Wide Web. My students have grown up in a world where they do not know life without a computer or WiFi however, they lack some of the very basic skills needed to operate it effectively. In my high school classes,I require typed essays in MLA format. Every year and practically every assignment I have to teach the students how to operate Microsoft Word. They have no clue as to how to change the margins or spacing. Because I can, I also explain to them what that blue square is that they click to save their document. In the day of auto correct, my students still submit essays with abbreviations such a u or ur. It kills me.

Gone are the days of typing classes where you were taught the home keys and how to type without "pecking" or looking. Students today learn how to build websites and design graphics but I would argue that they are lacking the essential basics. Bring back typing and teach students Microsoft Office so they can track data in Excel or create a resume in Word. Sure, they can tweet and use tumblr but are we preparing our students for success in a global society?  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen,

    Welcome to the world of blogging! I agree that the course material is very useful really for everyone. This is the first time that I am blogging as well, and so far the experience has been great. I think that my understanding of blogs has grown, but I think that my own blogging still has a long way to go.

    It’s interesting that you mention bringing back typing class while the blog that we read in Module 1 from Ingvi Hrannar Ă“marsson lists this as something that is obsolete. I agree with your point of view, that while there needs to be a focus on students learning how to use technology, we can’t skip over the fundamentals. We shouldn’t assume that students are picking up things like typing along the way just because they can text and surf the web. Tools like spell check are wonderful but I find that when working with graduate students, if they have to write out a statement by hand, oftentimes there are a lot of misspelled words, grammar and punctuation errors.

    I do agree that it would be very helpful for students to learn things like Word and Excel in a classroom setting. I’m sure that there are ways to make courses like that interesting and engaging, not just a dull procedural course of the past. I still go to professional development courses like these from time to time, I think they benefit anyone using these programs.

    Thank you for your post!

    Kelly Grieneisen Tillotson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, you're not alone! I've owned BlaineHelmick.com since 1999 yet I've had less than five pages on it for 15 years. For some reason I just don't put myself "out there" and so I completely sympathize with your situation. Good work on putting yourself out there and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

    As to your point about Word and Excel; one of the few things that this self-described non-educator actually teaches is Word and Excel and I can attest first hand that even adults don't know how to set margins. I've had people come up to me after my seminars and tell me, "I've been using Word for over a decade and I had no idea you could do ... ".

    But don't worry, the kids who "get it" and realize that written language is just as important, if not moreso, will have more success in the future. That's not just me saying that, Forbes has a report that ties "grammar" directly to salary: http://www.forbes.com/sites/cherylsnappconner/2013/03/11/report-how-grammar-influences-your-income/

    Share that with your kids and remind them that proper grammar is essential to business success. The kids who want it will do what it takes.

    Thanks for the excellent post.

    ReplyDelete